Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Rodgers has a few words to say...and then says some more

In the new issue of Sports Illustrated due out today, there is an article about NFL QB's who follow legends. You know, like Aaron Rodgers following Brett Favre. The Rodgers' quote from the article that has spurred a bit of media and fan attention, however, is this: "I don't feel I need to sell myself to fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut."

Hmmm...that doesn't sound so...so...fan friendly, does it?

Well, apparently, our new starting QB is backpeddling as fast as he can on that comment. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reached Rodgers by phone yesterday and Rodgers wasted little time apparently in clarifying his remarks. “I do care deeply about the fans and I think anybody who has been to training camp sees a lot of times I’m the last one out signing autographs. I care about the fans; I care about their opinions. Everybody wants the fans to care for them and to pull for them and I am no different. I think my record, as far as the time I spend with the fans, and more importantly the stuff I do in the community, kind of speaks for itself.”

As the article points out, Rodgers is one of the more involved Packers in terms of volunteering for community and charity events.

So, perhaps his comment was a bit indelicately put, shall we say. Rodgers seemed to understand that point. “The biggest disappointment in this whole thing is if anybody is offended, because I think that my track record pretty much speaks for itself in the way I feel about the fans,” Rodgers reiterated, according to the article.

Rodgers has a big enough challenge in winning over the fans. As the SI article points out -- and as everyone already knows -- following a legend ain't no picnic. Just take a look at who SI dubbed the "We Followed Legends Club": Jay Fiedler (Dan Marino), Marty Domres (Johnny Unitas), Richard Todd (Joe Namath), Brian Griese (John Elway) and Cliff Stoudt (Terry Bradshaw). There was also that Steve Young guy who did pretty well following Joe Montana. That's the club we hope Rodgers is able to join.

If you want to read more of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article, click here.