Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Tractor Watch 2007: The Local View

As the off-season wait for QB Brett Favre's retirement-no retirement decision continues -- dubbed "Tractor Watch" (deriving its name from Brett's love of riding his lawn tractor while home) -- his local newspaper was able to get the first words from him since the end of the season on the subject. The Hattiesburg American reported today on an interview they had with him on Tuesday. Apparently, according to other news reports, the Hattiesburg reporter was able to corner Brett while he was attending his daughter's basketball game.

The key part of the article is this: “There’s not really (a timetable),” said Favre, who makes his offseason home in Hattiesburg. “I said after the last game (Dec. 31) that I’d decide within two weeks, but I probably jumped the gun when I said that. But I’m going to call McCarthy (Tuesday) night. He left a message for me this morning. “I don’t want to drag this out as long as I did last year.”

We can only surmise that if Brett did call McCarthy last night it wasn't to give his definitive decision or we would have heard about that and not about him having the conversation.

You can read the full article here.