Thursday, May 22, 2008

Schroeder to retire as a Packer

Seven years after he last played with the Pack and four years after his last game in the NFL, wide receiver and Sheboygan native Bill Schroeder, will retire as a Green Bay Packer. I know, I know, who knew he wasn't already retired, right?

Anyway, according to a press release by the Packers, Schroeder "has informed the club of his decision to retire with the Packers." Schroeder is quoted thusly: "It was a great privilege to have played for the Packers for the majority of my NFL career," Schroeder said. "I am honored that the Green Bay Packers have allowed me to end my playing days as a member of one of the greatest franchises in professional sports. I look forward to my continued relationship with the team and helping them and the community in any way possible."

Schroeder will no doubt be active with the Packer alumni. He received an award from the Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce while with the team for his community service and was also actively involved in lobbying for the redevelopment of Lambeau Field. Being a good ol' Wisconsin boy, Schroeder no doubt will be a regular fixture at Packer games and events as much as possible.

You can read more about Schroeder's retirement here.