Sunday, May 07, 2006

Favre Back, Don't Look for Changes

Brett Favre made it clear in his first press conference since deciding to return to the Packers for the 2006 season that fans shouldn't expect any changes in his game. Although, why some would is beyond me. OK, there was that matter of the 29 interceptions last year. But aside from that...

During a 30-minute press conference held at the Packers first minicamp of the year, Favre said, "I don't regret the way I play or the way I approach it. I don't feel like I should change. For me to change now, it would be time for me to leave." Favre pointed out that circumstances and personnel accounted for his career-low passer ranking (31st in the league). Favre is the eternal gunslinger. And as the saying goes, he who lives by the gun dies by the gun. Last season...well...we know what happened.

New Head Coach Mike McCarthy was quick to point out later on that what Brett was talking about was his aggressiveness not his style. The turnovers were obviously unacceptable regardless of what the circumstances were and who the personnel was. And as far as McCarthy is concerned, Favre is as coachable now as he was when McCarthy was the QB coach back in 1999.

As for the reason he decided to come back for another year, Brett said, "The Packers still want me. I want to be back. Whatever happens, happens. I will always be competitive. I'm going to try to enjoy it as much as I can." Favre also said there's no place he'd rather be competing on Sunday afternoons than Lambeau Field, putting to rest the rumors that he was looking to be traded. As noted here at Packerfansunited.com on more than one occasion, Favre will retire as a Packer...whenever that is. As Brett said, "I know there was a lot of talk about being traded or wanting to play for another team. I told you guys over and over again that I didn't want to play for another team, and that's the truth. This is where I wanted to be the whole time."

As with most things that go on too long, the press conference and Brett both wandered a bit the longer it went on. But if you want to listen to it yourself, you can by clicking here.